Tuesday, November 18, 2008

super-heros

I recently heard a testimony about a man who was tortured in Thailand after secretly giving away bibles. How can anyone ever be this brave? I remember the words I say to the youth.... about sacrifice and "taking up our crosses". I tell them that if we are truly following Christ, we're going to find ourselves bleeding someday, somehow. Truth is, that thought scares me. They think of bleeding as being teased by classmates for choosing youth group over parties, or having to break up with their unequally yoked boyfriends and girlfriends..... But a different image comes to my mind. I think of this man.... and Paul, Timothy, Peter and the rest who literally bled to follow Christ and join in his mission. I think of the missionaries out there still .. in Nepal, in China, in Thailand, who wake up every morning and sincerely thank God for new opportunities to "bleed" for Him. Will I ever be this loyal?

No comments: